International Students

Home > International Students > Visiting Students

Visiting Students

We accept a candidate who has an earnest desire to study, do research, or take classes in the special field as a Special Research Student or Special Audit Student in our university; as far as the fields of study fit to our academic field, after the screening of application documents.

Visiting students can do their research or study in Toyohashi Tech while they are continuing their study in home university.
There are two categories of visiting students program; Special Research Students mainly do their research, and Special Audit Students take the classes of our university to get credits. 

1. Categories of admission

A) Special Audit Student:

Visiting students who wish to take the classes of our university and wish to obtain credits (both undergraduate level and graduate level).

B) Special Research Student:

Visiting students who wish to do their research in our university (graduate level only).

2. Eligibility

A) undergraduate level students:

Those who graduated from high school, completed regular 12 years education, or recognized as the equal, and who are permitted by their home universities.

B) graduate level students:

Those who graduated from universities or recognized as the equal, and who are permitted by their home universities.

*In either case, if you wish to take classes taught in Japanese, or take research guidance in Japanese, ou need to have Japanese language proficiency level equivalent to 280 points on "Japanese as a Foreign Language," Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU). We recommend students to have 1st class on Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT N-1).
And if you wish to take classes taught in English, or take research guidance in English, you need to have enough English communication skills (TOEIC: 590, TOEFL(iBT): 61, TOEFL(PBT): 500, IELTS: 5.5 or above is recommendable.)

3. Month of enrolment

Beginning of April or October (Beginning of each semester)
*Special Research Student may start their research on other month.

4. Fees to enrol

A) Application fee and Admission fee: Exempted

B) Tuition fee

Special Audit Student 14,800 yen/credit
Special Research Student 178,200 yen/ semester (29,700 yen/month)

C) Ways to pay

Special Audit Student:
Upon the admission, please pay for all tuition of classes which are admitted to take.

Special Research Student:
Please pay at the beginning of your research period.
The amount may be divided by the semester
(From April to September, October to March).

D) Notes

Those fees are not refundable.
Other cost, like daily expenses and transportation fee must be paid individually.

E) Exchange Students from the Partner universities

Those exchange students coming from our partner universities are exempted from tuition fee, too (the number of students exempted from the payment is limited by the agreements).
*List of the universities with exchange agreement: [Japanese] [English]

5. Application documents

  1. Application Form for Short-term Program [download]
  2. Personal Information Sheet for Short-term Program [download]
  3. List of Preferred Courses (for Special Audit Student only) [download]
  4. Certificate of enrolment in your host university (Originals or Certified copies)
  5. Transcripts or certificate of your score (Originals or Certified copies)
  6. Proof of your English/Japanese language skill
    *This does not have to be an official certificate.
  7. Document that explains your current research theme
    *Briefly explanation of academic thesis, bachelor's report plan etc.
  8. 2 ID photos
  9. Application form for your Certificate of Eligibility [visa application guide]
  10. Photo-copy of your passport
  11. Financial certificate (for VISA)
  12. Pledge [download]
  13. Recommendation letter from your university
  14. Application form for International House [download]


  1. All documents should be typed in Japanese or in English on A4 size paper.
    If the certificate is issued in other language, English or Japanesetranslation must be attached.
  2. Submitted documents will not be returned.

6. Application deadline

4 months prior to the month you wish to enter
(If you wish to enter in April, the deadline is in the end of November the year before. If enter in October, the deadline is in the end of May.)

Address where the application documents should be sent to International Affairs Division
Toyohashi University Technology
1-1 Hibarigaoka, Tempaku, Toyohashi, Aichi, 441-8580, JAPAN
Contact Email ryugaku@office
*Please append "" to the end of the address above.

*Please contact by Email before submitting the application.

7. Admission of student

After the selection procedure of our university, the Notice of Acceptance for Enrollment may be issued, and when the designated procedure is done on the first month of entrance, the student's admission is acknowledged.

8. Notes

  1. Special Audit Students need to take classes for 10 hours/week in order to receive Student visa.
  2. Canditates need to write names of three faculty members of Toyohashi Tech on the application, as Special Research Student needs a supervisor and Special Audit Student need a contact faculty in Toyohashi Tech.
  3. Only the visiting students from our partner universities may apply for International House, if there is any vacancy. (Visiting international students coming from those universities without Student Exchange Agreement between Toyohashi Tech need to find their accommodation outside the campus by themselves.)
  4. Special Research Student can audit classes of our university for their research needs, but cannot obtain credits.
  5. Toyohashi Tech Transcripts
    ・We will send Toyohashi Tech transcripts to your home university by postal mail for credit transfer processing upon requests from your home university. Your home university needs to apply for them via email before applicants come to Toyohashi Tech. [Request Form]
    ・Please note that we will issue Toyohashi Tech transcripts as the following schedule.
    Spring Semester: after October 1st
    Fall Semester: after April 1st
  6. This English guide is translated from Japanese originals for applicants convenience only. English expressions do not change the original content.

to Page top